Monday, April 4, 2011

Being "Daddy"

It's funny that "now~a~days" I can think back to when I was a kid and unlike most people, I have not become a totally different person by being a dad.  When we were kids, our parents would want us to go to bed early so that we got lots of sleep and wouldn't be a pain to wake up in the morning.  Or to be extra careful when doing anything so we wouldn't get hurt.  Well, I was never very good at listening to those sorts of things.  I was very anti-social and did not have many friends but I rode my bicycle all over and there was never any "being careful" about it.  Cross the street through traffic, ride along the creek bed, jump off dirt hills as high as I could, do other stupid things that often seemed like I was purposely trying to hurt myself.  It was all a part of my growing up I guess :)

Anyway, as a Dad, I don't express all those concerns to my children.  Last night their mom dropped them off with me as soon as I got home from work around 7 or so.  Shortly after getting here they remembered that I had asked them to bring their pillows this time but they had forgotten and therefore did not have their pillows.  So, about 7:30 (which is 30 minutes before their bedtime with their mom) we set out for Wal-Mart to buy them pillows and since I have no car, we set out on foot.  I also decided that on our way I would treat them to desert at my workplace for having to walk so far.  Not long after walking (to the end of the street) one of them mentioned bedtime and I realized, oh oh, I'm going to have them up a bit later than their normal bedtime since it's a school night!  Great job DAD!!!  Not to mention the major streets we crossed without ever coming close to the crosswalk and the number of people that thought, "What the fuck is that guy doing walking his 3 kids across the street like that?"  I'm teaching them my ways and it does not go by the ways of society! 

It was a very pleasant walk.  We got to listen to frogs croak which they loved and my little Hailey Bailey saw the first star of the night and went on and on about how amazing that was and how it was coming to give her life.  *~ Side Note: I really need to keep a little notebook on me and write down some of the stuff she says.  ~*  LMAO (8:28), she just woke up in fact, literally, and said, "Dad, my skin is gone!"  Not making this up!  :)  Add in(8:35): "Dad, now we need to find a frog and listen to it"

We got to Wingers and went to our normal spot and Dad ordered a 22oz Porter and they got one Kiwi Lemonade and two Raspberry Lemonades.  Then I told Tosh to put a "Zookie" in for me.  When she brought out the pile of goodness the kids got very wide eyed with amazement.  It made it all worth it!!  Then we walked across the large parking lot and headed for the pillows.  Checking each one out, I grabbed one and Anthony says, "it's so soft, it's like a cloud.  My head is just going to fall right through!"  LOL  3 pillows and pillow covers and $50 later we're headed out the door and both Anthony and Elizabeth insisted on helping and were each carrying a pillow and did for the entire walk.  Can't be much happier as a father.  Well, we got home about 10 o-clock and I got their bed ready (right next to mine) and put all their pillows into pillow cases and off to bed!  Hailey was asleep first and I put a silly movie on for the older two.  Anthony was next and it was about 11:45 when he finally went to sleep and Elizabeth waited till about 12:15.  This morning, they woke up without problem and got ready for school!  I took them to the bus stop and then got back and started writing this post.  All a success!  :)

I'm not sure if society would agree with me or not, but I know that I am an amazing Father.  The kids seem to agree.  Thanks for reading!!

Dad

Anthony just reminded me that on our walk we got to see an owl!  It was just sitting on a power line directly above the street where we were walking.  We got pretty close before it decided to fly away!  The kids thought that was pretty darn cool and Elizabeth started discussing how some animals are nocturnal.  Great times!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment